Description from Google Video: Is it coming? If it happens, it will be because of what Congress DOES, not what it does NOT. WARNING: Buried in the draft revisions on The Banking Committee's web site is an obscure change to another law that allows The Fed to set bank reserves to ZERO! If this is done it gives banks infinite leverage and WILL ultimately result in the failure of our banking system.
are responsible for the credit lockup."
STOP the BAILOUT.
VIDEO Go Viral: STOP THE BAILOUT OR.... DEPRESSION? (~10 min.):
| digg story
The Bailout Reader
Daily Article by Mises.org | Posted on 9/26/2008
The events taking place in the financial market offer an illustration of the soundness of the Austrian theory of money, banking, and credit cycles, and Mises.org is your source not only for analysis of these events but also the economic theory that helps explain what is happening and what to do about it. There are many thousands of articles available, and also the full text of thousands of books as well as journal articles. It is impossible to draw attention to the full range of literature one can use to understand the crisis.
However, below we offer a brief look into the topics most discussed in these times, with extended treatments of each in the sidebar. Mises.org also offers both a blog and a community forum for reading and discussing them all.
It's never been more important to spread a sound view of money and banking, not only as a protection against the fallacies of "stabilization" and "reflation" but also as way to see what kind of reforms are essential now.
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Freddie Mac: A Mercantilist Enterprise, by Paul Cleveland, March 14, 2005
- Fannie Mae: Another New Deal Monstrosity, by Karen De Coster, July 2, 2007
- How Fannie and Freddie Made Me a Grumpy Economist, by Christopher Westley, July 21, 2008
- Who Made the Fannie and Freddie Threat? By Frank Shostak, March 5, 2004
- Are Fannie and Freddie Too Big to Fail? By Frank Shostak, September 17, 2008
- Fannie Mae Distorts Markets, by Robert Blumen, June 17, 2002
The Housing Bubble
- The Housing Bubble in Four Easy Steps, by Mark Thornton, September 27, 2008
- The Real Cost of a Full Bailout, by Don Rich, August 22, 2008
- The Subprime Mortgage "Crisis" Will Fix Itself, by Steve Berger, May 30, 2007
- Did the Fed Cause the Housing Bubble? By Robert Murphy, April 14, 2008
- The Mortgage Market Mess, by Christopher Westley, May 17, 2007
- Housing Bubble: Myth or Reality? By Frank Shostak, March 4, 2003
- What's Behind the Financial Market Crisis? by Antony Mueller, September 18, 2008
- Our Financial House of Cards, by George Reisman, March 25, 2008
- Will Central Bankers Become Central Planners? by Robert Blumen, July 31, 2008
- Inflation is a Policy that Cannot Last, by Thorsten Polleit, March 14, 2008
- The Widening Safety Net, by Christopher Mayer, March 19, 2004
- The Fed's New Tricks Are Creating Disaster, Frank Shostak, March 18, 2008
- The Fed's War on the Middle Class, by Mark Thornton, June 4, 2008.
- Austrian Economics and Financial Markets conference at The Venetian Hotel Resort Casino, Las Vegas, 02-18-2005
Community Reinvestment Act
- The CRA Scam and its Defenders, by Thomas DiLorenzo, April 30, 2008
- Regulatory Sneak Attack, by Thomas DiLorenzo, September 16, 1999
- Short-Sale Restrictions Are an Exercise in Naked Power, by Robert Murphy, August 11, 2008
- The Social Function of Futures Markets, by Robert Murphy, November 29, 2006
- Don't Sell Short Selling Short, by Gary Galles, April 6, 2007
The Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle
- The Idiocy of Wall Street, by Don Rich, September 24, 2008
- The Fed is Culpable, by Hans F. Sennholz, November 11, 2002
- Skyscrapers and Business Cycles, by Mark Thornton, August 23, 2008
- Economic Outlook 2008: Darkening Clouds, Dominick Armentano, January 2, 2008
- Business Cycle Primer, Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. February 8, 2001
- Economics Depressions: Their Cause and Cure, by Murray Rothbard
Who Predicted This?
- The Financial Apocalyptics are Back, Robert Blumen, July 25, 2007
- Sowing the Seeds of the Next Crisis, Thorsten Polleit, April 25, 2006
- Credit Crisis: Precursor of Great Inflation, by Thorsten Polleit, February 7, 2008
- Mr. Bailout, by Anton Mueller, September 30, 2004
- America's Unsustainable Boom, by Stefan Karlsson, November 8, 2004
- Who Predicted the Bubble? Who Predicted the Crash? By Mark Thornton, July 14, 2003
What To Do
- Don't Bail Them Out, by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr., September 10, 2008
- How to Avoid Another Depression, by Mark Thornton, September 10, 2008
- Taking Money Back, By Murray N. Rothbard, June 14, 2008
- Beware the Alchemists, by Ludwig von Mises, February 3, 2006
- Reflation in American History, by H.A. Scott Trask, October 31, 2003
- Money and Freedom, by Joseph Salerno, February 2, 2002
- The Case for a Genuine Gold Dollar, by Murray Rothbard
Books to Distribute
- The Theory of Money and Credit, by Ludwig von Mises
- America's Great Depression, by Murray Rothbard
- The Mystery of Banking, by Murray Rothbard
- Prices and Production, by F.A. Hayek
- Causes of the Economic Crisis, by Ludwig von Mises
- Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays, by Ludwig von Mises, et al.
- Understanding the Dollar Crisis, by Percy Greaves
- The Case Against the Fed, by Murray Rothbard
- Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles, by Jesus Huerta de Soto
- History of American Currency, by William Graham Sumner
- Banking and the Business Cycle, by C.A. Phillips
- Fiat Money Inflation in France, by Andrew Dickson White